Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Twilight, etc.

Like many others, I've read Twilight before. I was drawn to the story because of my students, who write weekly journal entries based on their choice novels (or books that the students select). My students, both male and female, were completely OBSESSED with the Twilight series (and still are). I read snippets of information about the characters and plot in their journal entries and just had to get the rest of the story. I found that I was never really drawn into the story, but I could finally understand why my students enjoyed the story. As an educator, I was more than happy to encourage their decision to read Twilight, and I enjoyed the discussion (both written and verbal) about the characters and storyline.

Having said that, I feel pretty strongly that Twilight is not a novel that I'd write a teaching rationale for in order to bring it into my classroom. I just don't think the novel itself brings that much to the table. Do I think it's worthwhile for students to read? Yes, if they want to. Am I pleased that my students are devouring the Twilight books? Sure...they are reading, and that's all that really matters. I'll save the literary analysis for novels and short stories of my choosing. I agree with the article "Off the Shelves" that Twilight offers a good example of characterization, and I might consider using it in my class for that specific reason, but I wouldn't want to fight to bring it into my classroom as a whole. I don't feel it's a very well-written novel, especially when compared to Harry Potter (the OTHER adolescent series that has caused reading mania).

It's interesting that I'd consider using pieces of Twilight since I'm teaching a writing technique called a snapshot with my students now. A snapshot is basically a word picture that is created based on incredible description. The example I used to teach my students to create a snapshot is from Harry Potter - when Harry first sees Ron Weasley's house, to be exact. The description is amazing, and I think it's really important to teach writing skills using text that is modern and well-known to students. Doing so makes the connection that much smoother for young writers.

On another note, I really enjoyed the censorship articles and can't wait to discuss them in more detail. It's kind of a culmination for what we've said all along - are "questionable" novels worth fighting for? How hard should teachers push to get material they desire approved as part of the curriculum? I look forward to the discussion.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, this novel would be difficult to pull into a curriculum in a classroom, but parts definitely lend themselves well to the teaching of writing. It seems like that's what a lot of people are saying in their blogs!

    Also, it undoubtedly is not as well-written as Potter, and I would fight harder to get HP in my classroom than Twilight, even though HP may be harder because so many parents are against the "Witchcraft" used in the book.

    I don't know if it's just because the first group made the comparison between R&J and Forever, but I actually think this book could be related to Forever. Girl meets boy, girl falls in love with boy, girl is willing to give up life as she knows it for boy, etc, etc.

    My biggest complaint with this series is that it (SPOILER?) teaches students that sex and LOVE are totally normal for high-schoolers. I don't know too many high school students that are actually in love, or too many that are ready to give up everything to be with someone, but this series teaches a fantasy world where you can do that and everything works out for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brooke. I found myself nodding along with your ideas here. I was also first drawn into the novels by my own students. I was shocked that so many of them were writing (of their own volition) page after page of imaginative stories related to this text. The premise behind the novel intrigued me...reading through the novel was a completely different experience altogether, however.

    ReplyDelete