Friday, July 2, 2010

Blog 6: Media in the Classroom

Making the Journey Ch. 9

Incorporating "media" into my classroom is one of those things that's always in the back of my mind. Although my district is at the front of many things, it takes time to incorporate technology into each classroom and without technology, it's difficult to teach using media. Christenbury begins by stating that one or two project options that incorporate media is a good idea. I'm working this year to expand my culminating activity lists for each unit to include not only one optinon, but four or five that would allow more student creativity. I did find that my students are sometimes overly focused on the criteria for one project and when I allow them to flex their minds a bit and create their own boundaries on projects, I get really nice results. This is one way that I'm putting my students more in control of their grades and their own outcomes in my class and in turn, I have to relinquish some of my own control. What I've found in terms of media projects is that students today are very technologically savy and many opt for projects that allow them to use media in new and interesting ways, while there are always some who are more comfortable turning in a more traditional project. We have resources available for student use, so I think a good balance is to offer one or two options that involve media and the rest that are more traditional in nature. That way, students can choose to use media if they are comfortable with it or select not to if they are not yet at that comfort point.

One new concept that Christenbury made was about using film in the classroom. I've only ever used films as a culmination to a story or narrative we've read and an opportunity for my students to see how their version varies from that of the director. Christenbury offers a few sources for film study, which approaches the use of media from a totally different perspective. I folded down the page of my text so I can remember to look into those options as a better way to incorporate media into my own classroom. I've also been interested in using blogs in my classroom, and I know other teachers in my building who have done so without too much difficulty, so blogging is another item I'd like to try to help my students build their own media literacy.

Cultural Reflections Ch. 5, 6

In dealing with cultural texts, Gaughan discusses the need for recent materials in the classroom. He states, "I include popular cultural texts that most of my own teachers would have deemed illigitimate" (Gaughan 107). I agree with Gaughan that not including these texts in the classroom could actually be, as he says, a "disservice" since students need to know how to critically analyze the cultures they are surrounded by in the future.

Gaughan also discusses reader response when he notes that his students often bring their own thoughts and ideas to a discussion. Based on the background knowledge that each reader has, he or she makes decisions and draws conclusions based on what they know to be true. Gaughan also asks his students to analyze and question what "truths" they know based on what the medias has shown them. He uses a good example of the television media, which is well-known to have a more liberal slant, and he asks his students to find several sources about the same topic to better arm themselves with the ability to find the real truth. This is a very valuable skill for students to master by the time they graduate from high school.

In chapter 6, Gaughan breaks into a discussion about films and how they are best used in the classroom. He notes that watching films in class is often a passive activity for students, but it shouldn't be. He requires his students to watch a film with paper and pencil in hand, ready to mark down important points for discussion to enrich their understanding. Gaughan says, "I remind students to think about visual images, music, lighting, juxtaposition of characters and scenes, and the other film-making codes we have studied" (143). Instead of watching a movie for the sheer joy of having a "free" day in class, Gaughan challenges his students to react to the film and analyze why it is important to the literature they are studying and the writing they are completing. I think it's really important for teachers to make the connection between what their students watch and how it affects the bigger picture: the unit of study and/or type of writing. If students can use media to deeper their understanding and foster that connection, it's well-worth the effort and class time to use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment