Sunday, October 4, 2009

Monster and Multiculturalism

I've always been a fan of reading texts that investigate cultural backgrounds different than my own. It's interesting that the first unit I teach at the start of each new year is interwoven with multiculturalism. This unit teaches students about all aspects of informative text, though our focus is on personal memoirs. The culminating activity for this unit, which we just finished typing last week, was a personal memoir detailing a memorable or life-changing event that occurred in the past. My texts of choice when teaching about personal memoirs? Amy Tan's "Fish Cheeks" and Bill Cosby's "The Only Girl in the World for Me" from his book, Love and Marriage. Do I have a large number of Asian or African American students who would select these memoirs if left to their own devices? Probably not. The common theme is that both memoirs detail events that occurred when the authors were ages 12 and 14, and that's how I draw my students in.

Hade's article reminded me of this point when I read his perspective on multiculturalism in the classroom on page 240. He writes that multiculturalism exists in three different aspects. First, it examines how western culture views other cultures. Second, "Multiculturalism means searching for ways to affirm and celebrate difference, while also seeking ways to cooperate and collaborate across different groups of people." This is why I choose to incorporate different cultures into the first unit of study I teach. The third aspect that Hade discusses "is a reform movement based upon equity and justice." Multiculturalism should foster equity between all cultures, races, classes, and genders in society. The last part of this section of Hade's article that I found interesting was when he discussed us becoming tourists in the practice of multiculturalism. He writes about students learning what they can from different cultures without understanding how to "effect real change." I think the job of the classroom teacher is to make clear how cultural differences affect students and make a link between the reader and the author of multicultural works. My students are more aware of traditional Chinese customs and what it was like growing up as an African American in the city of Philadelphia because I selected works that could open their minds to the cultures that exist outside of suburban Mechanicsburg.

I think that teaching Monster would be another way to further expand the minds of students who do not typically read texts that involve African American protagonists. Would suburban white kids find a link between their own lives and that of Steve Harmon's? I think they would. One of the themes of Monster involves actions and consequences, which is a very real thing. Myers writes at the end of the novel, "As the author, I'll be satisfied if the reader forms their own opinions about these decisions and the consequences." I think that's the point behind teaching multicultural texts - allowing students to form their own opinions and make their own connections, which will hopefully lead to a worthwhile learning experience.

5 comments:

  1. I see "multiculturalism" primarily through the lens of Hades' third point: that multiculturalism should foster equity and social justice. I worry at times that a teacher's notion of multiculturalism means little more than providing students with a romp through Disney's "It's a Small World" theme park. If teachers are willing to ask the difficult questions regarding race, class, gender, and power (hegemony) then students have opportunities to investigate cultural systems and practices that both edify or denigrate minority cultures.

    In other words, do we learn about other cultures simply by donning a sombrero or eating fried rice? or do we learn what it means to be "outside of the hegemonic norm" (or "othered") by investigating social practices that dis-empower (or empower) individuals? Each approach is vastly different.

    Either way, I argue (as you do Brooke) that our students should read literature from a variety of cultural perspectives. I would argue furthermore that they should do this type of reading *especially* if they are white, suburban students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that I think this novel could be used to help expand what students know about other cultures. Although it was in college, I had a class where all we read were novels actually written by African writers. It was a very interesting class, because through those novels, I was expose to their cultures. It was something I had never looked at before.
    Even though Monster is maybe not that much of an extreme, I believe that it is still very important for students to read. I believe that any novel such as this has a place in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your comments on the importance of exposing students to this literature are spot on. You're right to say that perhaps students wouldn't pick up these books, written with African American or Asian protagonists, on their own. So it is important for us, as teachers, to expose our students to literature of all different cultures. And not only to make them aware of and maybe even celebrate the differences between them, but also, as Shannon pointed out, to point out "equity and social justice."
    I was talking to someone in another class about this book, and she said that for the students that hate to read, are "mean", or the "jocks" (or a combination of all three!), she could offer them Monster or another Myers novel, and they want to read it. They agree and they enjoy it. So not only is it exposing them to some important issues, it's also a really well-written book that even those who might not love to read on their own can enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with adding texts like this into a classroom where you teach and where I grew up. Growing up in the Mechanicsburg area, you are not exposed to different cultures. Why not add a text like this and have your students read about life through the eyes of an African American boy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your ideas! Where I am from, most of the kids are in upper-middle class families and probably couldn't relate to a "minority" character, and they definitely couldn't relate to a poor character. However, middle schoolers CAN relate to 12 and 14 year old characters, so that is a great way to reel them in. The books are still teaching the lessons we need to teach, but they are also going above and beyond to hit the multiculturalism their parents often don't teach them.

    ReplyDelete